Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beyond my wildest dreams


It had been maybe ten years since we'd planned a family camp-out. Mostly because I can plan some challenging activities. Last spring Jerolyn and I stopped at Big Al's Burgers in Kanab for lunch on one of our trips to Utah. I saw a poster pinned on their community board. It announced a symphony concert in the Grand Canyon on August 14th. That's when I started dreaming of camping with Melissa, since she wanted to visit around that time. Maybe Cory and others in the family could join us as well.

Friday August 14, Jerolyn and I joined Cory, Melissa, and her friends, Roger, Trevor and Karrie at the DeMotte Campground in the Kaibab Forest next to the Grand Canyon National Park. I planned a very full weekend. Friday night we visited the major view points on the east side of the north rim. We got back to camp after dark and started dutch oven chicken and corn on the cob. We ate late but the food turned out great. We all woke early Saturday morning to take the Kaibab Trail down into the canyon. The trail to Roaring Springs is over 9 miles with almost 3000 foot elevation change that takes a full day. I imagined spectacular scenery, narrow trails and cliffs rising and falling near our feet. The beauty of the trail is beyond what I ever dreamed. The climb out of the canyon was brutal though and many times I doubted I had the strength to keep going. I was the last one from the group to reach the top again.

Quickly we went to the public showers in the park, and for 5 quarters per shower we each freshened up before the water turned off. We bought a late lunch and drove to the Grand Canyon lodge for the outdoor symphony concert on the north rim. I ran ahead in my excitement for good seats for the concert. It was already crowded but discovered some space on the steps beside the Orchestra. I rushed back to get everyone at the trading post, so we could hurry back to the steps to sit down and watch the concert. It turned out the choir was performing from those steps. I asked permission to sit on the steps and watch. A lady in the choir said we could and in jest said we could use more men in the choir. Well!! I can sing, I said. The family sat down behind me and I sat next to the lady and looked through her music. When the choir rose to perform I stood up with them. This was the climax of the whole trip. I was on the top of the world, singing in the choir and looking over the edge of the Grand Canyon. I think we all had a day we'll never forget. That night we cooked tin foil dinners and marshmallows around the campfire.
Grand Canyon 2010

2 comments:

pammy said...

sounds like alot of fun! What beautiful pictures and how neat to experience it!

Cara and Mike said...

That does sound like a dream! I'm glad you all had a wonderful time! :) .... Ps. WHEN are you moving back? :) hehehe.