This is my daily route to work. Mckellips Road in Mesa crosses the Rio Salado river bed. I never thought in our stay here in Arizona we would see water in this river. There are 3 or 4 lakes up the river that controls the water. I am learning that managing water in Arizona is a lot more different then managing the snow top mountain of the northern Rockies where the runoff is slow. January 24th or so we received one and a half inches of rain in Mesa along with most of the state. The next day the dams opened their flood gates and now Rio Salado is a river. A flash flood here could fill 3 lakes in a couple of days. The pictures here were taken Saturday February 2nd, the river has been flowing for one week. It will probably flow for another week or so.
During the month of January the morning low tempuratures have been in the mid 30's and the highs were in high fifties. This last week, not only have we had to deal with the cold and floods, but the valley also had to manage the congestion of hosting many major events, such as; Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction, Super Bowl XLII and the FBR Golf tournament.
Do you have pitty on us now?
2 comments:
JK - No need to pitty us. We're grateful for the rain and as you can see from the pictures it is sunny most the time. This morning the roads in Mesa were wet and it was 50 degrees. Although, the longest leg of my bike run, the roads were dry. It hadn't rained in Phoenix.
hhhmmm... We will consider pitying (sp??) you...but 50 still feels a lot nicer than ZERO! :-) I have to laugh Bruce...your theme for life "I don't mind getting wet" and you are being blessed to be in your element right now! Enjoy the rain!
p.s. I shoveled again this morning for three hours. I think this is getting extreme. I hurt myself in the process and have to wear wrist guards to help keep me from hurting them again....that and my body was so sore (three times shoveling in less than 24 hours!) I could barely change into dry clothes! Love you guys!
Post a Comment