Sunday, November 1, 2009

Newport Beach in October

The ocean water was pleasant and the weekend was sunny and warm. The beach was crowded near the Newport Pier and I was wondering if it was August or the end of October. My Director at work told me, I could go to a business conference with my two associates (ladies) in Newport Beach, California if we rented a car and drove down. I told Jerolyn that I was driving to California with two ladies and wanted her to come along. She said, "Of course I am going. I wouldn't allow you to go with them unless I came!"

The Conference was Monday and Tuesday. Although, we left Saturday Morning, October 24, so we could reach the beach about 1:00 or 2:00 pm to enjoy the beach before checking into the hotel at Fashion Island. After checking into the Hotel, Jerolyn and I jumped back in the car and went to Down Town Disney to have dinner with Jerolyn's long time childhood friend, Danette and her husband Craig Mathias. Our conference was in the Pacific Life building across the street from the Marriott hotel. There are a lot of nice places there and a lot of wealth.

The Fashion Island Mall has a Bloomingdales and a Neiman Marcus store. We were frequently passed by exotic cars, even a Bugati Veyron. Sunday morning we walked around the Temple and found a bench to sit on to read the Book of Mormon. It was a beautiful day. That evening we walked around Balboa Island, ate a long a-waited chocolate coated Frozen banana, and rode the ferry to the peninsula. One of the highlights of the conference was a private dinner cruise sponsored by software partners. We were served drinks, prime rib dinner and desserts. Dancing was available with a live DJ, while cruising the Newport harbor.

Just a few miles from Fashion Island Mall is the Newport Beach Temple. Tuesday afternoon we went in the Temple. There we learn of how to gain Eternal Life and return to His presence. In Newport beach the temple is surrounded by a lot of material wealth, but all the wealth is of little value compared to the blessings the Temple brings.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Looks like a great weekend! I was just excited for a new blog post!!

pammy said...

Jer, what a fun trip! You are such a little traveler!!! What a beautiful Temple!